nix via agora-discussion [2022-08-30 13:33]:
> On 8/29/22 16:28, juan via agora-discussion wrote:
> > Concretely, I believe a self-moderated community should implement a form
> > of restorative justice. I am not well-versed in this area, but I see an
> > opportunity for us to create something new and valuable. I posit we
> > should invest in the idea of a just Agora. We should take this
> > seriously.
>
> Restorative justice is a great idea. I wrote a few protos on it in the
> discord a while back, I'm sure someone can dig them up.
>
> > Even more concretely, I point the following, just out of the top of my
> > head:
> >
> > * Bans should not be permanent. There should be a way to appeal them,
> >    and they should have time limits (though those can be unspecified and
> >    unlimited). Times change, and so should we.
> >
> > * We should have formal processes that implement some form of
> >    restorative justice, upon whose failure, and only then, extreme
> >    measures such as ostracism should prevail.
> >
> > I don't believe in punishment, fiction notwithstanding, and so I don't
> > believe ostracism to be a punishment. It is – it must be – only the
> > final, most bitter remedy for an injustice so grievous, and so
> > collective, that there is no possible restoration. It is grave. I'd even
> > come to the point of saying it needs to be a unanimous decision.
>
> I admire your idealism, but I just think you're wrong about how grievous
> it has to be. Sometimes restoration isn't possible because someone
> involved refuses to engage in a restorative process. Madrid responded
> with "you shouldn't even be allowed to be mad at that, it's just who I
> am." So e's clearly not interested at this time in understanding how eir
> actions might have impacts.
>
> If your idealism aligns with protecting the person that makes other
> people so uncomfortable that they quit, because they haven't done
> anything **too serious**, then congrats because that's what you
> currently have.
>
> --
> nix

I'm sorry. I had no idea of the gravity of the situation. Also, as I've
said, I know very little about restorative justice. Honestly, I have no
idea how to deal with a situation such as this. Obviously, keeping
things as-is is unnaceptable. Something must be done to stop the pattern
of abuse, though I don't have much confidence in what that is.

That said, I prefer to err on the side of protecting victims. If no
better alternatives come up, I will support a ban.

--
juan