You're definition of "Algorithm", is off the mark, clearly.

An algorithm is definitely NOT "the set of programs that
implement or express that algorithm." You must know that an algorithm
is a set of instructions which, when followed in order, lead to the
correct answer or state. Why are you trying to re-define words which
are already in common use and have broad acceptance?

Do you see how this definition is merely a self-reference, and totally
defeats the purpose of a definition? It's like saying a chicken is the
sum of all chicken body parts. <grin>

Your definition of "equivalent" is far too general, as well. How does
"essentially the same program" help to define equivalent. It's
completely subjective, FCOL! :(

Give it some credit for the latter explanation, but what is missing,
for me, is clear examples, and a clear purpose for this classification
effort. If you don't want to post a snippet to explain it, I don't want
to wade through another paper. If you're not interested enough to bring
a condensed version or a sample, to the forum, I'm not interested
enough, either.

Classifying things makes them easier to understand, but also glosses
over deeper truths that lies beneath that classification.

Adak