Hi Jeff,

Glad to hear you say "on average" in judging the algorithm's, because
minesweeper is all about probablities, imo. Even the best algo could be
foiled by an unlucky guess.

If you have an algo for this probabibility calculation, until you find
a square with 100% safety, (or the safest square on the board), you
have minesweeper solved as well as it can be. There are some situations
which require a guess (similar to the first move), because no square
can be ruled completely safe, just then.

If you do your math right, you'll have the optimum probabilities - this
is the only part of minesweeper that I find interesting.

So the way I see it, the competition would be of no use. Either you can
figure the probabilities for each square, or you can't. If you can, the
program will find the best square, in time so small the program may not
even be able to measure it.

So, how's your probability math? :)

That relationship between the number of mines a square is adjacent to,
the number of mines adjacent to it that have been marked, and the
number of squares still uncovered adjacent to that square, seems
immediately crucial in figuring out what's safe, and how safe a square,
really is.

Good luck

Adak