RE: > If you have an algo for this probabibility calculation, until you
find
a square with 100% safety, (or the safest square on the board), you
have minesweeper solved as well as it can be.

In fact, this is not true.  Simply selecting the square that minimizes
the probability of uncovering a mine is not the best strategy in
Minesweeper.  If you don't believe me, try entering in the competition.

I can't think of an optimal Minesweeping algorithm.  If there is
someone out there who thinks they can create one, please take part in
the contest.  Post here to let us know that you're in.

Jeff Cameron