You're right Jeff, but the amount of improvement is quite small, imo.

A lookahead function seems needed in certain situations to decrease the
number of the guesses that may have to be made, even though the
probability of choosing a mined square on the next choice, is somewhat
higher.

I just finished my Sudoku puzzle program, so I'm "puzzled out" right
now. There are programs (some with source code), that take some of
these refinements into consideration. Google "Minesweeper probability"
for more info and links to some programs.

I can't find any info on how much improvement this actually makes over
a straight "always take the square with the lowest probability of being
a mine", program. I suspect over a large (say 20,000 games) set, it
would amount to less than 1%.

Good luck with your contest. I hope you get a lot of interest, and
maybe you can round up some of the programs from the net and compare
them, as well.

That would be interesting.

Adak