In order to get some kind of statistically significant sampling, we'll
need the programs to run games, completely automated, from an identical
file of random starting positions.

At least 100 games should be played by each program, imo. Since the
games will play VERY fast, running time should be no problem.
No human intervention after starting the program, would be best.

Are we using Windows Minesweeper rules? (if the first guess is a mine,
that mine is moved to the first non-mine square in the upper left
corner of the board). Is that the most common way for programs to
handle that?

Should we standardize the programs size to match Windows 16 x 16
(intermediate) board for the purposes of the contest? I'm concerned
that many programs would not support a board of any given size. We want
all the programs we can dig up, to make it interesting, right?

Is there a standard file format that is commonly used for Minesweeper,
Jeff? (or anybody else). That's something I didn't know when I wrote up
my Sudoku program, so of course, it doesn't support it. :(   (yet).

What else do we need to know and agree on?

Adak