Hi Adam!

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Adam Jones wrote:

> > Is there really no hint available on my problem? :-((

> Are you actually running the same kernel as is configured in
> /usr/src/linux?  If not, I'd recommend configuring, compiling and
> installing the new kernel and rebooting before you start.

Yes, I did! I fetched the kernel 2.4.17 from ftp.kernel.org,
unpacked it to /usr/src/linux, moved this directory to
.../linux-2.4.17 and linked it to .../linux -> linux-2.4.17.

After compilation I rebooted this new kernel. Works fine. Than I
unpacked the sources of alsa-drivers-0.5.12a, configured it
(automatically) without any interaction and compiled it, both
without any errors! (make 2> make.log).

Afterwards I tried to install this new "errorfree" alsa-drivers as
root and got the boring Unresolved symbols error.

> My other suggestion here is go do a "make dep" in /usr/src/linux, then
> a "make distclean" in the ALSA driver source dir, followed by the usual
> configure, make, make install routine.

After configuration I compiled the new kernel giving "make dep clean
bzImage modules modules_install 2> make.log".  I Believe "make
distclean" isn't neccesary and doesn't help ...

> Do you have versioned module symbols turned on in your kernel config?

No! Why should I? I never needed that before, and I think, it would
only be neccesary, if I like to use version 2.4.12-drivers with
kernel 2.4.17, isn't it?

I think, it was a problem with the includes. With SuSE-7.3 we have
the actual kernel headers at /usr/src/linux/include/linux/.. and the
kernel headers the glibc is linked to at /usr/include/linux/.. Don't
know how to fix it.

Any hints?

hao

--
Dr. Harald Krause      E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]