On 19-Feb-02, Dr. Harald Krause wrote:

>> Are you actually running the same kernel as is configured in
>> /usr/src/linux?
> Yes, I did!

Sorry - just checking. :)

> After configuration I compiled the new kernel giving "make dep clean
> bzImage modules modules_install 2> make.log".  I Believe "make
> distclean" isn't neccesary and doesn't help ...

It's not usually necessary, but it does clean up the cache files used by
autoconf, and sometimes those have caused problems for me, I seem to
recall. :/

>> Do you have versioned module symbols turned on in your kernel config?
> No! Why should I? I never needed that before, and I think, it would
> only be neccesary, if I like to use version 2.4.12-drivers with
> kernel 2.4.17, isn't it?

It shouldn't be necessary, no - but it might well provide a clue to
someone who knows rather more about this than I do...

> I think, it was a problem with the includes. With SuSE-7.3 we have
> the actual kernel headers at /usr/src/linux/include/linux/.. and the
> kernel headers the glibc is linked to at /usr/include/linux/.. Don't
> know how to fix it.

/usr/include/linux is a link to /usr/src/linux/include/linux on my
system out of the box - I suspect that's the same everywhere.  If not,
move your /usr/include/linux to linux.old and make that symlink, then
try the whole "make distclean; ./configure; make; make install" routine
again...
--
Adam Jones ([EMAIL PROTECTED])(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
.oO("Which is Sanskrit for Shatner."                                   )