> and then I tried to patch the kernel by using the patch from ALSA's ftp s
>
> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/kernel-patches/alsa-bk-2003-12-30.patch.gz
> 4 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
...etc..
> Any idea of what I might be doing wrong?

Well, I had the same issue.  I think that the kernel has moved on since the
30/12 patch

Can someone please confirm how one should patch the 2.6 kernel to get the
latest drivers.  I want to try out the RME 9632 driver which doesn't seem to
be in current 2.6 builds.

There are some notes from an earlier post in the list that it is possible to
simply unfold the alsa drivers into the kernel tree - I'm a little nervous
to try though without confirmation?

Would it be possible for the developers to submit new patches to the 2.6
kernel maintainers.  At least Andrew Morton seems happy to keep interim
patches in his MM tree even if they don't go into the main kernel tree

Thanks for any help

Ed W