On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:26, Don Levey wrote;

  > This doesn't appear to be the case.  Am I asking for the ALSA
  > developers to obtain and test every sound boadr on the market,
  > every chipset?  Not at all.  I wouldn't mind some sort of clear
  > chart, as has been suggested, specifying just WHAT is *fully*
  > supported/tested.  Another section, "should work", would be nice,
  > as well as a "don't hold your breath" section.

Great.  So, go help build or resurrect a site which will help users
co-ordinate their testing results for their hardware!

  > This should be a reasonable request - the developers should know
  >against which hardware they test, what passes and what fails.  The

Hmm.  Unfortunately the developers can only test on the one or two
pieces of hardware that they use.  I don't think it's reasonable to
expect them to personally collaborate testing results from potentially
thousands of users.  Maybe 20 users say "it works perfectly", when
what they mean is "stereo output at 44kHz is audible when connected to
the speaker out, I haven't exhaustively tested everything else".

  >middle section, the best-guess list, would probably be the
  >hardest.  Oh, and as long as I'm dreaming, it would be nice to see
  >a clear and simple explanation of how to tell what chipset is on
  >your card, so that we can refer to that instead of the
  >manufacturer's model number.

As long as it's a PCI card, `lspci'.  I usually then just google for
the device ID :) (`lspci -n' will not convert the ID to a name).
There isn't a 1<->1 correspondance between device IDs and chipsets,
but usually you'll find your answer from there.
--
Sam Vilain, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you
hit the target.
ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT