> > Probably up to the usb guys, whether they prefer to be flexible and work
> > around "broken" (or problematic) hardware, or take a "purist" approach
> > of saying "this is not our problem, your hardware is broken". Obviously
> > I would prefer the first (if it is possible), the second ignores that
> > the hardware world is not perfect :-)
>
> Surely it is not a perfect world. But:
>
> I am currently surrounded by USB audio devices. I tested about 15
> since last week on both kernels.  They *all* were accepted by 2.6
> (some don't have working ALSA drivers yet), *except* my own M-Audio
> device, which was refused. Every other manufacturer of USB audio
> devices that I tested (among these Edirol, Audiotrak, Philips, Emagic,
> Terratec, Creative) did get it right. So the linux-usb folks do have a
> point here.

They sure do... :-(

It is interesting how what is sometimes a problem in other context is a
solution. Some usb audio devices require a firmware download, otherwise
they are just expensive doorstops. And that can be a problem in linux
(no firmware and download program -> useless device). But the quattro
cannot does not have that "problem", so I guess the firmware will never
be fixed.

> But then hardware manufactures have the best argument on their side:
> "But it works in Windows!"

Yeah, that could be tried as an argument[*], but for some reason I don't
think it will convince many kernel hackers :-)

-- Fernando

[*] also the "but it worked on 2.4"!