Hallo,
Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano hat gesagt: // Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > > Probably up to the usb guys, whether they prefer to be flexible and work
> > > around "broken" (or problematic) hardware, or take a "purist" approach
> > > of saying "this is not our problem, your hardware is broken". Obviously
> > > I would prefer the first (if it is possible), the second ignores that
> > > the hardware world is not perfect :-)

Just a (not that) short update on my tests, which I'm about to finish
this night: As I suspected, among the devices I got to test only the
M-Audio Quattro failed with the alt-settings error. I didn't have the
Audiophile USB for testing, which reportedly also fails. (The Quattro
isn't actually part of the test, it's my own one.) But the M-Audio
Mobile Pre as well as the Sonica and the Transit don't have this spec
violation (they also don't have working ALSA drivers. Another story.)

Nevertheless there are really nice alternatives to the Quattro in all
price ranges. Two quick notes about some of them:

* Cheap, but well working multichannel cards are the Audiotrak Mayas,
the Terratec Aureon and the ESI Gigaport. In fact I guess, they are
all built by the same taiwanese manufacturer so get the cheapest, if
you don't need ASIO drivers (who does?). No Midi, though.

* I was really pleased by the brand new Terratec Phase 26. This is a
fine box for all quattrocally challenged out there. Sturdy metal case,
6 in, 2 out at 48kHz *without* the need for any asoundrc tweaking,
that made the Quattro such a pita sometimes. It also supports
24bit/96kHz. It has a midi port, which I couldn't get to work, though,
but as the P26 is so brand new, this might change soon. Sometimes it
did make strange noises after starting or stopping jackd (yes, it
works fine with Jack). I couldn't find out what causes this.  But now
the best part: It is powered over the USB bus, and also offers a DC
connection. Freedom at last! So: It has some problems still, but it is
*very* promising, and it has about the same price as the Quattro -
obviously it is positioned against the Quattro intentionally by
Terratec. Terratec really should give a Phase 26 to Takashi, Clemens
or so to adapt the drivers. They might have a killer here.

ciao