There are, as far as I can tell, two very valid and very different approaches to service selection / traffic direction.  It can be done by the application, or it can be done by the operator edge.  CATS is chartered to address the operator-based approach. Applications clearly can chose to make their own decision, or to send anycast traffic allowing CATS to make its decision.

However, expecting the network to expose detailed topology and related metrics to end application clients seems unlikely.  Which is why most applications have taken the approach of using their own probes to make their decisions.  If you want to argue for a protocol to expose information to client applications, that is a very complicated discussion with many stakeholders.  And it is a discussion that needs to take place before one discusses exact metrics, or even the properties of such an exposure mechanism. (It is an approach much closer to ALTO than to CATS.)

Yours,

Joel

On 11/2/2023 1:45 PM, Jordi Ros Giralt wrote:
Thanks Linda for your comments. Find my responses below:

> Your draft describes two aspects of the service performance

> impacted by the Computing: Service Deployment and  Service (Path)

> Selection. Those two should be separated, as the Service Deployment

> belongs to the OpsArea, and the Service selection (including Network

> Path & DCs that host the services) belongs to the Routing area.

[JRG] I agree that service deployment can be seen as part of ops area. Service selection can both be seen as part of the routing area (as you point out), but also a part of the application area. For instance, an application running in a UE could decide whether to use 5G, 4G, or Wi-Fi to connect to a service instance based on the communication and compute resource information exposed to it.

> draft-ietf-idr-5g-edge-service-metadata has proposed a new Metadata Path

> Attribute and some Sub-TLVs  for egress routers to advertise the Metadata

> about the attached edge services (ES).

> (...) Can this Metadata Path Attribute address the problem stated in your draft?

[JRG] I agree this information is valuable to the ingress router to make path selection decisions. In addition, there is also a need for this information to be exposed to the service or application layer. If there is service replication, the application running in the UE (or an application-layer proxy on behalf of it) needs to decide which of the service replicas it connects to. Once a service replica is selected, the UE might also have a variety of ways to reach that service (e.g., 4G, 5G, Wi-Fi). Both of these end-point selection decisions need to know the available communication and compute resources.

Thanks,

Jordi