Hi Joel, all,

Please, see in-line

Best regards

Luis

De: Cats <cats-boun...@ietf.org> En nombre de Joel Halpern
Enviado el: jueves, 2 de noviembre de 2023 19:04
Para: Jordi Ros Giralt <j...@qti.qualcomm.com>; Linda Dunbar
<linda.dun...@futurewei.com>; c...@ietf.org; alto@ietf.org
CC: i...@ietf.org
Asunto: Re: [Cats] [Idr] New draft on joint exposure of network and compute
information

There are, as far as I can tell, two very valid and very different approaches
to service selection / traffic direction.

[[Luis>]] service selection / traffic direction is a part of the problem. A
previous step is service / application instantiation. What we claim is the
convenience of defining compute-related metrics suitable for both (and any
other step in the service lifecycle that could require such kind of metrics).
Defining separated metrics could lead to inconsistent approaches. A common set
of metrics that could be used for different purposes would be desirable.

It can be done by the application, or it can be done by the operator edge.
CATS is chartered to address the operator-based approach.  Applications clearly
can chose to make their own decision, or to send anycast traffic allowing CATS
to make its decision.

However, expecting the network to expose detailed topology and related metrics
to end application clients seems unlikely.

[[Luis>]] Exposing information from network side is becoming an industrial
trend in order to benefit the service delivery and experience by customers
(e.g. Linux CAMARA project). Closer interaction among applications and networks
is desirable.

Which is why most applications have taken the approach of using their own
probes to make their decisions.

[[Luis>]] The applications following that approach infer the status of the
network for taking decisions. Though proper exposure mechanisms the
applications could take informed decisions in a more precise manner than the
inference, which will be certainly beneficial. However this discussion
separates from the topic of the draft (common definition of compute metrics),
so maybe better discuss in a thread apart.

  If you want to argue for a protocol to expose information to client
applications, that is a very complicated discussion with many stakeholders.
And it is a discussion that needs to take place before one discusses exact
metrics, or even the properties of such an exposure mechanism.  (It is an
approach much closer to ALTO than to CATS.)

Yours,

Joel

On 11/2/2023 1:45 PM, Jordi Ros Giralt wrote:
Thanks Linda for your comments. Find my responses below:

> Your draft describes two aspects of the service performance

> impacted by the Computing: Service Deployment and  Service (Path)

> Selection. Those two should be separated, as the Service Deployment

> belongs to the OpsArea, and the Service selection (including Network

> Path & DCs that host the services) belongs to the Routing area.

[JRG] I agree that service deployment can be seen as part of ops area. Service
selection can both be seen as part of the routing area (as you point out), but
also a part of the application area. For instance, an application running in a
UE could decide whether to use 5G, 4G, or Wi-Fi to connect to a service
instance based on the communication and compute resource information exposed to
it.

> draft-ietf-idr-5g-edge-service-metadata has proposed a new Metadata Path

> Attribute and some Sub-TLVs  for egress routers to advertise the Metadata

> about the attached edge services (ES).

> (...) Can this Metadata Path Attribute address the problem stated in your
> draft?

[JRG] I agree this information is valuable to the ingress router to make path
selection decisions. In addition, there is also a need for this information to
be exposed to the service or application layer. If there is service
replication, the application running in the UE (or an application-layer proxy
on behalf of it) needs to decide which of the service replicas it connects to.
Once a service replica is selected, the UE might also have a variety of ways to
reach that service (e.g., 4G, 5G, Wi-Fi). Both of these end-point selection
decisions need to know the available communication and compute resources.

Thanks,

Jordi

________________________________
WARNING: This email originated from outside of Qualcomm. Please be wary of any
links or attachments, and do not enable macros.

Jordi,

Your draft describes two aspects of the service performance impacted by the
Computing: Service Deployment and  Service (Path) Selection. Those two should
be separated, as the Service Deployment belongs to the OpsArea, and the Service
selection (including Network Path & DCs that host the services) belongs to the
Routing area.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-5g-edge-service-metadata/ has
proposed a new Metadata Path Attribute and some Sub-TLVs  for egress routers to
advertise the Metadata about the attached edge  services (ES).  The Edge
Service Metadata can be used by the ingress routers in the 5G Local Data
Network to make path selections not only based on the routing cost but also the
running environment of the edge services.  The goal is to improve latency and
performance for 5G  edge services.

Can this Metadata Path Attribute address the problem stated in your draft?  I
CC’ed the IDR WG, so your comments on the Path Selection can be visible to them.

Thanks, Linda