* Simon Mayr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 04:14:39PM +0100)

> something like
> echo -en "A\nY\n" | /path/to/amflush -f config
> is working. ( Arrrgh again! ;)

Allright ...

> What about the amanda database if i set up a "flush to nirvana" config
> with /dev/null. Would it do any better or other than erase the images,
> the index files and the log files.

dunno ,
according to the manpages it will
``update the databases, and send email similar to amreport''

It also makes a ncie printout if you have a label specified
(though it's rather silly to stick a printout label to /dev/null )

> I think I read somewhere that the behavior of amanda has changed about
> the meaning of /dev/null. Amanda didn't let me use the /dev/null device,
> ioctl error or something, cannot rewind, wrong tape etc., so I came up
> with the simply-delete-the-stuff solution ...

Dunno,
Solaris gives no tape loaded errors if you try to do mt commands on
/dev/null , which is reasonable ;)

>> (well actually, you have to type Y as well I think.,
>> Maybe you need to do something with expect ;)
> what's "expect" ?

expect is a ltittle tool that lets you automate interactive programs
expects sits there, reads the utput from the program, and feeds it the
required input.

e.g. UUCP uses it to talk to the dialout device

        Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O  If your watch is wound, wound to run, it will
 =`\<,  If your time is due, due to come, it will