On May 17, 2001, "Anthony A. D. Talltree" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> But this is not a problem of linux, it's a problem of dump.

> Yeah yeah yeah.  We've all heard that a million times before, and yet on
> real systems we've been happily using dump for years without
> consequences.

You've been lucky for years.  Some day, it'll bite you, and you'll
regretfully remember this discussion.  Or perhaps you'll keep on being
lucky.

Good luck :-)

> A more fitting analogy would be GM making cars out of cardboard and
> warning people to not leave them out in the sun because they might catch
> fire.

So your point is that dump should refuse to run on a mounted
filesystem?  Yeah, that sounds reasonable to me.  Then more people
would learn about its limitations and switch to some saner backup
tool.