On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 04:02:19PM -0500, John R. Jackson wrote:

> But if'n I were you folks using this version of GNU tar, I'd start
> making damn sure your tapes had anything even faintly useful on them.
> Amverify should do the trick, although I certainly wouldn't stop there.
>
> Not to panic you or anything, of course.  Have a nice day.  :-)

Hee, hee!

Yeah, conservative is better in backup utilities.  I've doggedly
installed GNU tar 1.12 plus amanda patches in every system I've been
responsible for.  Restored lots of files.  Never lost one.

One key point is test, test, test.  Don't ever assume
backup is working, especially if you've changed anything.  Do
some random restores even if you don't have to.  Fuss over them.
Look at 'em with a fine-tooth comb.

I believe this is much more important to safe and successful
backups than your choice of archiving utility.  Plus, if you make
a wrong choice, this is your chance to find out!

--
Dan Wilder