On Thursday 07 February 2002 15:19, R. Bradley Tilley wrote:
> When I run su amanda -c "amcheck daily" the backup server times out with
> the selfcheck request timed out error. Believe it or not, this just started
> happening, and I _haven't_ changed anything.
>
> The funny part is this: amdump works fine and runs nightly! It backs-up the
> server, even tho amcheck says it's down.
>
> I'm using the latest stable version with RH7.2 The system has been running
> fine for the last month (it's only a test setup so this isn't that big of a
> problem).
>
> I have rechecked .amandahosts; made sure xinetd was setup properly; emptied
> the hosts.deny file. Added ALL: ALL to the hosts.allow file, I doubled the
> etimeout from 300 to 600, but amcheck still times out.
>
> Has anyone else ever encountered a similar problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

It was RH's fault!. I did an up2date on the rpm packages, and one of the
packages overwrote my hosts file in /etc. When I recreated the hosts file as
it was before the package upgrade, amanda worked fine!

Lesson: Beware of updates!!! Do them, but be prepared to troubleshoot your
apps because upgrades _can_ break things.