This was a good idea; I tried it with one modification:  I determined
earlier that the failure happens without indexing also, so I added just the
line:
    fcntl(datafd, F_GETFL, 0);
and that fixed the problem as well. So I guess this is truly the minimal
patch!

-- Michael

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Nathan Stratton Treadway <natha...@ontko.com