I checked the errata for OpenBSD 4.5, but saw nothing that looked related.
I applied the patch to the 0831 snapshot and am building it now. After we
find the minimal patch, as Jean-Louis said, I'll post on the OpenBSD-misc
list to see if anyone has an explanation.

Thanks guys for working on this - I know it's a frustrating one.

-- Michael