I modified sendbackup-dump.c to run ktrace, e.g.:
"/usr/bin/ktrace -id -t censw -f /tmp/sendbackup.trc /sbin/dump 0usf 1048576
- /dev/rsd0d"

Unfortunately, I don't get a backup, even with the patch applied. The trace
output shows write errors because of a broken pipe with or without the
patches, like this:
 21835 dump     CALL  write(0x2,0x53fbec,0x8)
 21835 dump     RET   write -1 errno 32 Broken pipe
So I suspect my approach is not correct. Any other ideas how I might get
some useful trace output?

Thanks,
Michael