Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Steve Wray <steve.w...@cwa.co.nz> wrote:
Am I to understand that there could be a problem in having 'too many' DLE's
for bsd or bsdudp to cope with?

I never thought of there being a limit to the number of DLE's before... Our
disklist file has 178.

Yes, it's quite possible, and quite common with folks who have an
Amanda built with only a small range of available ports.

Ok I'm not sure about amanda as built for Debian but would it be safer for me to change pretty much our entire system to use bsdtcp?

So far my experiments in this regard have not been great; adding just one single DLE using bsdtcp has caused all other DLE's to have problems.

And intermittent problems at that

Sometimes 'amcheck -c' will report an error like:

ERROR: NAK <amanda client>: user root from <amanda server> is not allowed to execute the service noop: Please add "amdump" to the line in /var/backups/.amandahosts on the client

and the next time I run amcheck this error is not reported. Might be fine another run and then bad later.

Whereas the amanda client which I configured for bsdtcp -- the only one I have thus configured so far -- does not return any error.

(and yes, I am running amcheck from a 'su - backup' session where backup is the user that amanda runs as).

--
Please remember that an email is just like a postcard; it is not confidential nor private nor secure and can be read by many other people than the intended recipient. A postcard can be read by anyone at the mail sorting office and expecting what is written on it to be private and secret is not realistic. Please hold no higher expectation of email.

If you need to send confidential information in an email you need to use encryption. PGP is Pretty good for this.