Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
Steve Wray wrote:
Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
Steve Wray wrote:

On the client, in the sendbackup.20100106012630.debug log I see:

sendbackup-gnutar: time 0.056: /usr/lib/amanda/runtar: pid 3348
sendbackup: time 0.057: started backup
sendbackup: time 90.352: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]
sendbackup: time 90.352: pid 3346 finish time Wed Jan  6 01:28:01 2010
90 seconds, it's not a dtimeout issue.

Post all debug files for the run.
You can also try the bsdtcp auth, it is more firewall friendly.

Ah hang on, am I right in understanding that you can't have just one dle using bsdtcp auth? That they would all have to have it? (ie the inetd configuration)
All dles for a client must have the same auth.
different client can have different auth.

We are going around in circles a little here.

Allow me to try to make things very clear.

In my amanda.conf I have a dumptype defined as such:

(I've included the parent dumptypes. The 'global' dumptype is empty)

define dumptype root-tar {
    global
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
    compress none
    exclude list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    priority low
}

define dumptype nocomp-root-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "Root partitions without compression"
    compress none
}

define dumptype problem-nocomp-root-tar {
    nocomp-root-tar
    comment "Root partitions without compression, problem client"
    compress none
    auth "bsdudp"
#    auth "bsdtcp"
}

There are several DLEs for clients using the 'nocomp-root-tar' dumptype and only *one* DLE for *one* client using the 'problem-nocomp-root-tar' dumptype.

With the bsdudp line uncommented everything is happy with an amcheck.

With the bsdtcp line uncommented (and the bsdudp line commented out) *no* client is happy with the amcheck *other* than the client which uses 'problem-nocomp-root-tar'. However, as noted in another email this is intermittent, sometimes some clients using nocomp-root-tar are happy. So far its not exhibiting much pattern that I can see.

The above *does* include the fact that I *do* change the inetd.conf on the client which uses problem-nocomp-root-tar *and* restart inetd.

So, with a change of one line in a dumptype in a DLE used by one client, all other clients have problems.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something basic about dumptype configuration?

--
Please remember that an email is just like a postcard; it is not confidential nor private nor secure and can be read by many other people than the intended recipient. A postcard can be read by anyone at the mail sorting office and expecting what is written on it to be private and secret is not realistic. Please hold no higher expectation of email.

If you need to send confidential information in an email you need to use encryption. PGP is Pretty good for this.