On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Lisa Seelye <l...@thedoh.com> wrote:
> Disk permissions and file permissions are always a nightmare. Some things
> aren't right and amcheck complains about each one in turn. It would be
> useful to have some kind of thorough "lint" mode, perhaps with a
> --fix-permissions to repair the permissions (when run with root).

Ideally amcheck would be finding all of the permissions problems on
the first run - although sometimes one permission problem can make it
impossible to find the next.  Is there some specific condition that
you're seeing appear only on the second run?

As for adding a --fix-permissions option is an interesting idea, but I
worry that it would blindly 'mkdir' and 'chown' and 'chmod' things
that you might not want it to.  Note that many missing directories are
created at first run.  If some of those are missing, we could fix that
up.

Do you have a particular example you'd like me to look at?

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com