On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 17:22 -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 10:55:55AM -0500, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> > I bet most of you have some small nitpick with Amanda that you've
> > never felt warranted an email.  Well, now's your chance!  I'd like to
> > put some polish on Amanda, and it's hard for me to see the areas that
> > need burnishing, since I work on Amanda all day, every day.
> >

> A bit ago I discovered that spindle numbers are host-specific.
> Because of this my virtual machines are being backed up at
> the same time as the host filesystem storage for the VM.
>
> I would like to see a way of saying "do not back more than
> one of these DLEs at the same time".

At my last job I did this with interfaces.  Something like:

define interface web-servers {
  # don't back up more than one web server at a time
  use 1 kbps
}

define interface database-servers {
  # don't back up more than one database server at a time
  use 1 kbps
}

define interface misc-servers {
  # try to back up two misc servers at once
  #  1xxx is found out by trial and error
  use 1xxx kbps
}

in disklist:
web-1 ...  web-servers
web-2 ...  web-servers
db-1  ...  database-servers
db-2  ...  database-servers
misc-1 ... misc-servers
misc-2 ... misc-servers
misc-3 ... misc-servers
misc-4 ... misc-servers

The above worked most of the time.  Every once in a while I would get
more than I wanted running at once, but it worked well enough.

--
Christopher McCrory
To the optimist, the glass is half full.