On Friday 18 July 2014 10:50:47 John Hein did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Gene Heskett wrote at 10:26 -0400 on Jul 18, 2014:
>  > Trying to figure out why amanda can't backup this machine, one of
>  > the things I noticed in /etc, is that on the shop box, which works,
>  > there is not an /etc/xinetd.d but it has an old-xinetd.d with a
>  > single stanza amanda file in it.
>  >
>  > An ls -lau shows that file, /etc/old-xinetd.d/amanda was apparently
>  > accessed a few minutes ago by my amcheck from the server.
>  >
>  > However, on the new install on the machine that is failing to allow
>  > the connection, there is an /etc/xinet.d, with an amanda file in it
>  > with an old last access date/time, was not 'touched' when I ran the
>  > amcheck.  Its last access date/time is I believe, the date/time of
>  > the installation itself.
>  >
>  > That amanda-common is 2.6.1p1 IIRC.
>  >
>  > amcheck says:
>  > WARNING: lathe: selfcheck request failed: Connection refused
>
> Try running xinetd -d (then amcheck) to see if (or why not) xinetd is
> running amandad.

Puzzle, first I had to install it!  Then got a report ending here:
Service defaults
        Bind = All addresses.
        Only from: All sites
        No access: No blocked sites
        No logging

Service configuration: amanda
        id = amanda
        flags = IPv4
        socket_type = dgram
        Protocol (name,number) = (udp,17)
        port = 10080
        wait = yes
        user = 34
        group = 34
        Groups = yes
        PER_SOURCE = -1
        Bind = All addresses.
        Server = /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
        Server argv = amandad -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped
        Only from: All sites
        No access: No blocked sites
        No logging

14/7/18@11:27:40: DEBUG: 3748 {cnf_start_services} Started service: amanda
14/7/18@11:27:40: DEBUG: 3748 {cnf_start_services} mask_max = 6,
services_started = 1
14/7/18@11:27:40: NOTICE: 3748 {main} xinetd Version 2.3.14 started with
libwrap loadavg options compiled in.
14/7/18@11:27:40: NOTICE: 3748 {main} Started working: 1 available service
14/7/18@11:27:40: DEBUG: 3748 {main_loop} active_services = 1

But running an amcheck on the server didn't get any further output than
what you see above.  And got the same results, connection refused.
But I see an auth=bsd, where it should be bsdtcp. Fixed that, restarted
xinetd, no change in amcheck report, lathe still refused connection. the
amanda file in xinetd.d wasn't touched.  So we are a bit closer, but no
biscuit.  Next?

Thank you John.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)