On Friday 18 July 2014 16:16:15 John Hein did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Gene Heskett gheskett-at-wdtv.com |amusersj-ml0| wrote at 15:07 -0400 on
Jul 18, 2014:
>  > On Friday 18 July 2014 14:22:48 John Hein did opine
>  >
>  > And Gene did reply:
>  > > Gene Heskett wrote at 12:25 -0400 on Jul 18, 2014:
>  > >  > 14/7/18@12:09:37: ERROR: 3859 {activate_normal} bind failed
>  > >  > (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service = amanda
>  > >
>  > > More than one xinetd or inetd running?
>  > >
>  > > Maybe some basic background is in order.  The basic operation of
>  > > *inetd is pretty simple, and if you understand the basics, you can
>  > > really solve many of the common issues yourself.
>  > >
>  > > *inetd runs forever "listening" on the sockets you tell it to
>  > > listen on (as configured by the xinetd or inetd config files).
>  > > When requests (any activity) on that socket come in, it tries
>  > > to run the service that is specified in its configuration.
>  > >
>  > > If something else "owns" that socket, *inetd can't do its job
>  > > (i.e., can't start the service corresponds to that socket).
>  > >
>  > > If not, then *inetd will spawn off the configured service (amandad
>  > > in amanda's case).
>  > >
>  > > Technically, you don't need *inetd.  You can kick off amandad to
>  > > run on the client some other way (e.g., daemontools, ssh).  But
>  > > the server expects something to be listening on the client when
>  > > it comes time to do the dump.
>  > >
>  > > As others have mentioned, you have to configure things for the
>  > > right type of socket - the configuration of the amanda server
>  > > (primarily in amanda.conf / disklist) and client (typically inetd
>  > > config and amanda-client.conf) should match (see amanda-auth(7)
>  > > and
>  > > amanda-client.conf(5)).
>  > >
>  > > Here's some other good info so you can maybe help yourself and
>  > > understand better how things work:
>  > >
>  > > http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Quick_start_%28old%29
>  >
>  > I just discovered that the failing box did NOT have an /etc/amanda-
>  > client.conf, so I copied the one from examples and edited it.  But
>  > the working machine doesn't have one either, so I nuked it. amcheck
>  > didn't care.
>
> You got that out of my email?
>
> What about the most important bits:
>
> two inetd's running?
> and the bind failure?
>
> And the hint to use the background info to try digging on your own a
> little.  You're doing lots of things and it seems you don't know why -
> just guessing.  That's never a good recipe.
>
> Your xinetd got a bind failure.  That has nothing to do with amanda.
> Fix that first.

I found it! Call off the Bloodhounds & St. Bernards. :)

I had to reinstall xinetd, then remove the application of the -inet_ipv6
option the startup script in /etc/init.d was applying to xinetd.

$DIETY damn them all to someplace really hot for trying to make a linux
version released in 2010 as ipv6 only!  I knew I had fought with this crap
4 years ago, but my shorter term memory doesn't get refreshed on a short
enough cycle.  One of the hazards of outliving ALL your enemies.

But I am glad I have, altho that was touch and go about 6 weeks back when
I found myself just barely aware on the bedroom floor and couldn't draw a
breath.  Pulmonary embolism, blocked the artery from the right side of my
heart going into the lungs, came very very close to punching my ticket.
Blew the right side of my heart up to about 2x normal, but that seems to
have fixed itself now.  The high priced clot-buster shot worked, so I am
still here.  Lost some weight too & I feel better right now than I have in
10 years.  On rat poison for blood thinner of course. ;-)

Thank you ALL for putting up with me when it wasn't even an amanda
problem, please accept my apologies.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)