Too many comments on this thread to read them all (too many other things that
need attention).

However, I just wanted to note that I had been having trouble with include and exclude to break up DLEs some time ago. When I posted asking for help, JLM replied back and told me that I really needed to use Application amgtar for my backups. If I were just using the program gnutar, then to implement my general expressions, the amanda user needed read access all the way down to the level in the subdirectories where the expressions were being applied. Otherwise, it would not be able to do it, and would come up with an empty list. I switched all my backups to Application amgtar, and have had no problems since.

I should note that some of my LVMs are broken up into dozens of DLEs, even though I'm using LTO7. Back when I was using AIT5, I tried to keep DLEs less than 100GB. Then with LTO6, I loosened it up to 300GB, with some larger. Now, with LTO7, I let them approach 1T sometimes, but use hardware compression so that I'm not eating all kinds of CPU with gzip processes. This has worked really well.

Researcher's data is often restricted access, and may be divided up into subdirectories by lab personnel. Many of those take up many TeraBytes. So, I end up having to go down into their subdirectories sorting out how to divide them into DLEs. I have about 100TB of storage on each of two different Departments' servers. We're currently building arrays with 10TB HGST Helium filled drives, Supermicro servers with Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04, mdadm and LVM. I've found that I can build a RAID5 with 2 drives and then grow it by adding drives as needed. When I reach 5 drives, I request that the next addition be 2 drives so that I can convert it to RAID6 and grow it by 1 drive. All of that can be done live, although it can get scary sometimes.

My approach to DLEs is as follows. The name after the "/./" in the first line of each DLE is an arbitrary name for the DLE.

localhost    /data/professorA/./catchall    /data/professorA {
                gnutar-lto7-local
                exclude append "./directory1"
                exclude append "./directory2"
                # etc.
                } -1
localhost    /data/professorA/./directory1-catchall /data/professorA    {
                gnutar-lto7-local
                include "./directory1"
                exclude append "./directory1/EMR/CDH[1-9]*"
                # etc.
                } -1
localhost    /data/professorA/./directory1a    /data/professorA {
                gnutar-lto7-local
                include "./directory1/EMR/CDH[1-4]*"
                } -1
localhost    /data/professorA/./directory1b /data/professorA    {
                gnutar-lto7-local
                include "./directory1/EMR/CDH[5-9]*"
                } -1
localhost /data/professorA/./directory2-catchall    /data/professorA {

            # and so on, in a hierarchical top down structure.

The above example was constructed for this email message (so as to anonymize) based on real examples in my disklist. As I said earlier, some of my actual examples end up breaking up an LVM (which would correspond to, e.g., /data/professorA) into dozens of DLEs.