On Monday 24 June 2019 16:16:55 Debra S Baddorf wrote:

> > On Jun 24, 2019, at 2:03 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have a pi running stretch with an rt-preempt kernel so it can run
> > linuxcnc, which according to my tests so far it should do it nicely,
> > its realtime enough to handle servo machines with a 1 kilohertz
> > update rate, jitter is about 29 microseconds.
> >
> > But I've followed the output of amcheck and it now reports no
> > errors, although the excludes file is empty, something I'll need to
> > fix.
> >
> > But right now I need to reach back about 10 days and recover
> > my /home/pi/linuxcnc directory which contains the configs and
> > nc_files to run this 1500 lb lathe.
> >
> > But it won't let me run it on the client.  On this host, it won't
> > let me setdisk to /home/pi
> > Session:
> > gene@coyote:~$ sudo amrecover Daily
> > [sudo] password for gene:
> > AMRECOVER Version 3.5.1.git.19364c7b. Contacting server on coyote
> > ... 220 coyote AMANDA index server (3.5.1.git.19364c7b) ready.
> > Setting restore date to today (2019-06-24)
> > 200 Working date set to 2019-06-24.
> > 200 Config set to Daily.
> > 200 Dump host set to coyote.
> > Use the setdisk command to choose dump disk to recover
> > amrecover> sethost picnc
> > 200 Dump host set to picnc.
> > amrecover> setdisk /
> > 200 Disk set to /.
> > amrecover> setdate --06-08
> > 200 Working date set to 2019-06-08.
> > amrecover> cd /home/pi
> > /home/pi
> > amrecover> lcd /home/pi
> > /home/pi: No such file or directory
> > amrecover>
> >

> > so that both lpwd and pwd show the same paths.
> > which should be /home/pi
> > but I cannot
> > amrecover> lcd pi
> > pi: No such file or directory
> >
> > What I want is to extract the /home/pi/linuxcnc directory insitu
> > I've setdate to the date of the last full of this particular file.
> > That was on --06-08, and there were about 4 incrementals since.
> >
> > How do I do this?  Thank you.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I *think*   I’ve had to   “cd  /home”  then  “cd pi”  …. i.e.  do one
> directory at a time. Actually, since you are already in   “setdisk / “
>    then the first command is  “cd home”   with no slash.
>
> Worth a try, anyway…
>
> Deb Baddorf
> Fermilab
dead in the water Deb.

At this point, I think I'll use some of /amandatapes spare space to
extract the last full, then go find what I need, and copy it back by
hand. AIR use dd to feed starting at 32k, to tar xv
better yet use dd to get the instructions from the files header

which I did, but the final tar's argument was wrong and it errored
without creating an output file.  So I just fed it to tar x -, and it
worked perfectly. Then I used a root mc to copy the 2 trees I needed to
a transfer dir in my /home/gene/linuxcnc dir, did a chown -R gene:gene
on both of those dirs.  Then found /sshnet/picnc was empty, so dropped
out of root, cd, then ran bin/mount-machines answering with my pw, which
brought that link to life, fired up mc as me, and copied those 2 dirs
to /sshnet/picnc/home/pi/linucnc.shut that down and ran linuxcnc picking
the normal config, and 20 seconds later I had the same gui I've been
looking at for a couple years.  So I think I am in business. Just one
problem, the grin has pushed my ears a good half an inch to the
rear. :-)

Thanks for the hand holding, Deb, its both appreciated, and helps keep my
train of thought from getting derailed in the minutia. At 84 & still
counting, that is very easy to do.  Theres's no one else here that both
understands what I'm doing, or cares if I do it. Nobody else to talk to
IOW.

Its past dinnertime here, so I'd better go do something about that.

Take care now.

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)