On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 15:03:35 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> But right now I need to reach back about 10 days and recover
> my /home/pi/linuxcnc directory which contains the configs and nc_files
> to run this 1500 lb lathe.
>
> But it won't let me run it on the client.  On this host, it won't let me
> setdisk to /home/pi
> Session:
> gene@coyote:~$ sudo amrecover Daily
> [sudo] password for gene:
> AMRECOVER Version 3.5.1.git.19364c7b. Contacting server on coyote ...
> 220 coyote AMANDA index server (3.5.1.git.19364c7b) ready.
> Setting restore date to today (2019-06-24)
> 200 Working date set to 2019-06-24.
> 200 Config set to Daily.
> 200 Dump host set to coyote.
> Use the setdisk command to choose dump disk to recover
> amrecover> sethost picnc
> 200 Dump host set to picnc.
> amrecover> setdisk /
> 200 Disk set to /.
> amrecover> setdate --06-08
> 200 Working date set to 2019-06-08.
> amrecover> cd /home/pi
> /home/pi
> amrecover> lcd /home/pi
> /home/pi: No such file or directory
> amrecover>
>

> so that both lpwd and pwd show the same paths.
> which should be /home/pi
> but I cannot
> amrecover> lcd pi
> pi: No such file or directory
>
> What I want is to extract the /home/pi/linuxcnc directory insitu
> I've setdate to the date of the last full of this particular file.
> That was on --06-08, and there were about 4 incrementals since.
>
> How do I do this?  Thank you.

Looks like you have already retrieved the files you needed, but to
(attempt to) answer your original question:

>From the above transcript you appear to be running amrecover on coyote,
but trying to change the local directory to "/home/pi".... but I assume
that directory only exists on picnc, right?

(Note that you actually do seem to have successfully set the amrecover
"extraction source directory" to /home/pi on the "picnc /" disk; the
error came when you tried to use the "lcd" command to set the extraction
destination directory.)

If you were running amrecover on picnc it might make sense to recover
directly in-place, but presumably since you are extracting on coyote you
would want to create a temporary working directory to hold the recovered
directory tree, run the amrecover session from within that temporary
directory, then copy/move the files you need from that directory tree
over to the appropriate locations on picnc....

                                                Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway - natha...@ontko.com - Mid-Atlantic region Ray
Ontko & Co.  - Software consulting services - http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239