On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 03:45:15 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I tried to run amrecover on picnc, but was NAK'd at every step.  This
> even though I have added the root line to /var/backups/.amandahosts.

(Like so many aspects of Amanda, it's very likely possible to get
amrecover working on picnc -- but that's a whole separate discussion,
and since you have already retrieved the files you needed, I don't know
how worthwhile it is to go down that road at this point....)

> So I located the last full which was on the 16th, and using the usual dd
> if=/path/to/file._.0 bs=32k skip-1 | gzip -d | tar x -
> command, unpacked it to some spare space on the /amandatapes drive, then
> copied what I needed from that tree to /home/gene/linuxcnc/transfer-dir,

The goal of my earlier message was just to point out that running
amrecover into a temporary working directory on the server is a middle
ground.  With that approach, you let Amanda (via "amrecover") manage all
the inventory-of-dumps tracking and unpacking of the files (including
the possibility of limiting the unpacking to only the particular
subdirectories you care about)... but without the need to worry about
setting anything up on the client side.

(Obviously since you are skipping the client side setup you do still
need to copy the recovered files from the server over to the client, but
that process would be identical to what you just did above, just
starting with the directory tree created my amrecover instead of the one
created by "tar x".)

But hey, if you don't mind building the dd/gzip/tar command pipeline
yourself, that certainly gets the job done too :)

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239