On Monday 01 July 2019 08:30:20 Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 21:49:16 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 June 2019 19:40:19 Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
> > > amrecover> sethost picnc
> > > 200 Dump host set to picnc.
> > > amrecover> setdisk /
> > > 200 Disk set to /.
> > > amrecover> setdate --06-08
> > > 200 Working date set to 2019-06-08.
> > > amrecover> cd /home/pi/linuxcnc
> > > /home/pi/linuxcnc
> >
> > failed here, no pi to be found.
>
> In the transcript you posted in your message on Mon, 24 Jun 2019
> 15:03:35 -0400, you show a sucessful "cd /home/pi", so if it didn't
> work this time perhaps you didn't set the host to picnc?
>
> (I came up with the path "/home/pi/linuxcnc" based your dd/tar-based
> recovery instructions in a later email, so that could be a bit wrong,
> but you should at least be able to "cd /home/pi" and then use "ls" to
> figured out what to "cd" into below that.)
>
>                                                               Nathan
Explain to me, what lcd vs cd does?  What filesystem does each represent?

And why is there not an lls to list whats at the point of a successful
lcd,  like an ls does for a cd?

One or the other didn't work, I've forgotten which and not being able see
where I was, and verify which filesystem was what got so confusing I
gave up and used a variation of the first blocks command line to extract
the whole 7+gigs of picnc's /, then I walked thru it with mc and copied
what I needed.  That took half an hour, and just worked whereas I'd been
screwing with amrecover for 2 days. And FWIW, the commandline in block 1
of the file is bogus, eats cpu like they were M&Ms, and 20 minutes of
bouncing from core to core didn't output a single byte, so I turned the
last tar command in that pipelined chain around to 'tar x -', and had
the whole thing in a navigatible filesystem in the scratch dir of the
same drive. In under 20 minutes.

>------ Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic
> region Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -
> http://www.ontko.com/ GPG Key:
> http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239 Key
> fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis