* Steve <steeeeev...@gmx.net>:
> >   I'm no expert on German law, but I do know that there are other
> > German system administrators who are not running amavisd in pre-queue
> > mode, so I wonder if perhaps someone has given you an overzealous
> > interpretation of the law.
> >
> I think that the original sender knows about the law. I am not a German but
> I think that the German law says that you ARE ALLOWED to drop any message as
> long as you don't have accepted the message. So having amavisd running in

For the books: Currently lawyers in Germany disagree on WHEN a message has
been accepted - when you accept the connection or at the end of DATA when the
server says "OK".

> pre-queue allows you to DROP the message and just send a normal SMTP error
> code. That is allowed by law.

This is what most of the German laywers seem to agree on, yes.

> But you are NOT ALLOWED to accept the mail and then later doing some
> processing where you ERASE/DROP/WHATEVER the mail. This is not allowed by
> law. So you accept the mail -> you have to deliver the mail.

Unless the message proves to be harmful...

> That's probably the reason he wants to run amavisd in pre-queue because this
> would allow him to fight spam/malware and block spam/malware and drop
> spam/malware without having to accept the mail.

Usually one would want to drop unwanted messages as early as possible so they
don't waste ressources by later inspections.

> >   amavisd can run in pre-queue mode but it is not a recommended
> > configuration for performance reasons.

"it is not a recommended configuration" unless you know your average load and
how your mail system can handle it.

p...@rick

--
All technical answers asked privately will be automatically answered on
the list and archived for public access unless privacy is explicitely

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):