-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:12:31 +0100
> Von: Patrick Ben Koetter <p...@state-of-mind.de>
> An: amavis-user@lists.sourceforge.net
> Betreff: Re: [AMaViS-user] [Fwd: Re:  Amavis in pre-queue mode]

> * Steve <steeeeev...@gmx.net>:
> > >   I'm no expert on German law, but I do know that there are other
> > > German system administrators who are not running amavisd in pre-queue
> > > mode, so I wonder if perhaps someone has given you an overzealous
> > > interpretation of the law.
> > >
> > I think that the original sender knows about the law. I am not a German
> but
> > I think that the German law says that you ARE ALLOWED to drop any
> message as
> > long as you don't have accepted the message. So having amavisd running
> in
>
> For the books: Currently lawyers in Germany disagree on WHEN a message has
> been accepted - when you accept the connection or at the end of DATA when
> the
> server says "OK".

Hey! I am Swiss and looking what is happening over in Germany in some area just
makes me shake my head. But who am I? I don't get it and probably will never
get some of those "strange" laws.

> > pre-queue allows you to DROP the message and just send a normal SMTP
> error
> > code. That is allowed by law.
>
> This is what most of the German laywers seem to agree on, yes.
>

> > But you are NOT ALLOWED to accept the mail and then later doing some
> > processing where you ERASE/DROP/WHATEVER the mail. This is not allowed
> by
> > law. So you accept the mail -> you have to deliver the mail.
>
> Unless the message proves to be harmful...

Do the German layers and the German law agree on the definition of "harmful"? I
would be surprised if so.

> > That's probably the reason he wants to run amavisd in pre-queue because
> this
> > would allow him to fight spam/malware and block spam/malware and drop
> > spam/malware without having to accept the mail.
>
> Usually one would want to drop unwanted messages as early as possible so
> they
> don't waste ressources by later inspections.

Yes. But if this means that running in such a way that this early dropping of
unwanted messages results in more resources used compared to running in the
"early mode", then I really don't see the point in this "early dropping". I
don't agree with you that dropping early is equal in less resources used then
dropping later.

> > >   amavisd can run in pre-queue mode but it is not a recommended
> > > configuration for performance reasons.
>
> "it is not a recommended configuration" unless you know your average load
> and
> how your mail system can handle it.
>
> p...@rick

Steve