Well, I never even seen a Squires Sanders receiver, let alone listened
to one!

I cant recall offhand any other receiver that used a 7360
as a mixer, but need to look in my vacuum tube receiver book,
it lists all the receivers with their tube lineups.

The ARRL sure liked the 7360, they used it in a lot of their
receiver projects, in the 1967 handbook anyway.

I suspect the cost of a 7360 was lower back then, not sure why
its so expensive now, must be very rare?

On the lower bands, I am not sure getting a really quiet mixer is
important at all, but have not tried the other designs yet.

I never realized just how noisy some receivers are till the
first homebrew was done and compared it to the R390A.
I guess you think its atmospheric noise, or just get used
to it, but I cant stand the R390a anymore.

The first homebrew receiver is VERY quiet, but is an odd
design, I hope the new one is fairly quiet with the design
I picked.
If its not quiet, maybe I will try to duplicate the design of the
first receiver using a 7 or 9 pin tube in place of the 12SA7.

I am sure there is a tube to replace the 12SA7 in a miniature
type.
Maybe I should have planned it that way from the start, go with
what you know works well, but trying other things is part of
the fun...
It will be easy to change the tube type if the first design
does not work out (6AH6, cathode injected LO).

Brett
N2DTS