I've been reading with great interest the excellent comments posted recently
regarding 7360 balanced mixers. I've done quite a bit of work with the 7360
and its cousins and I can add a little information.

Beam-deflection tubes were designed beginning in the mid-1950s to be used as
color television synchronous detectors. The first type to be introduced was
the 6AR8, followed by the 6ME8 and the 6HW8 (I think this order is correct).
These early tubes are subject to problems with microphonics and are not
recommended for comm uses. The 6AR8 also had problems with loose internal
elements and some TV sets actually had them mounted in rubber bushings!

They were all built around the principle of beam-deflection control of plate
current in addition to conventional grid control. The idea behind them was
to switch the beam currents from one plate to the other at the LO rate,
using the potential AC voltage between the deflecting electrodes. The reason
they are called "balanced" is that the external bias voltages balance the
beam currents internally-balance has nothing to do directly with external
circuitry or RF balance. In fact, the 7360 can be used with one plate
grounded for RF and still be "balanced". One of the main advantages to
beam-deflection tubes is that electrons always move at high velocities away
from the cathode. This eliminates the interaction between electron stream
and grid structures as seen in conventional pentagrid mixers. Because of the
balanced operation of the deflection electrodes, the influence of the
deflecting-electrode voltage on the E-field near the cathode neutralizes
capacitive coupling between the deflectors and the control grid, and hence
internal coupling of signals. The result of this internal balance is an
extremely linear plate-to-plate transfer characteristic. The balance pot
seen in most of the published designs is included to balance internal
deflector currents by establishing equal bias voltages on the deflecting
electrodes.

The 7360 was followed by the 6JH8 color demodulator which is much less
expensive, and doesn't require DC bias on the deflectors. It is difficult to
use because it requires about 300 volts on the plates and a lot of LO drive
to get any mixing efficiency. However, it has an extremely linear transfer
characteristic that approaches a straight horizontal line. There was also a
type 7763 beam deflector, but it is no longer available and was mostly an
experiment as an IF limiter for FM sets.

Electrically, the 7360 is equivalent to a high-gain linear amplifier
followed by a fast switch, which would seem to make an ideal mixer.
Unfortunately, there are several problems, which combined with high cost,
contributed to limited use. They have no rejection of either LO or RF signal
at the IF output. They efficiently amplify these signals, and up to 15 db
gain is seen of both signals at the IF output. This makes the use of high-Q
output circuits mandatory. Even so, LO harmonics and any unwanted RF energy
will freely to mix with the IF and produce a lot of spurious energy at the
IF, which is difficult to remove by conventional IF filters. I tend to think
that an RF preselector with just enough gain to overcome the 7360-mixer
noise would be a requirement. Another disadvantage is that the conversion
gain goes way down above about 1 mc, and can approach 22-db conversion loss
at 9 mc. About 1964, JW Miller came out with two transformers (1740 and
1741) designed to be used as a 9-mc SSB generator with McCoy crystal
filters. Although the circuit worked well enough with audio, when adapted
for use as an RF mixer it has a conversion gain of about 1. Most of the
published RF mixer circuits for the 7360 used IF frequencies at or below
about 1 mc for this reason.

Using balanced transformers at the deflectors (LO injection) and at the
plates (IF output) makes about 1 db improvement in rejection of RF and LO at
the IF. All the balanced coils do is provide some 2nd harmonic rejection of
the LO and IF frequencies. You can't compare 7360 balanced mixers with
modern-day balanced mixers because they are not the same terms.

The deflection beam is very sensitive to modulation from external AC fields,
and a good shield is mandatory. I've used IERC shields with good results.

The great advantage to a 7360 is its near immunity to blocking. I've
measured 100 db ratios with homemade RF mixers.

They make EXCELLENT product detectors that have high conversion gain and low
distortion. This is not surprising, since that's what they were designed to
do. All of the published designs may be followed, I suggest the March 1960
QST article. One noted problem is a tendency for the product detector to act
like a random synchronous detector at low-frequency beat notes and it will
try to lock onto a nearby signal. The cure is to try another tube. DC on the
filament may or may not help.

Here are some references to balanced mixers:
RCA Review, June 1960
SSB Exciter Circuits Using A New Beam-Deflection Mixer, QST March 1960
7360 Mixers in the 75A-4, QST July 1964
A New Approach to Front-End Design, Bill Squires, QST September 1963
The Single Sideband Sixer, QST October 1963 (6 meter rig using 6JH8's)
Miser's Dream Receiver, By Goodman, QST May 1965, also in ARRL handbooks
The W5OMX Communications Receiver, December (?) 1968
An Advanced General-Coverage Receiver, W6BD, QST November 1970
RSGB Handbook, 1968
RSGB Amateur Radio Techniques, 6th edition, 1978

73, Ray Osterwald, NØDMS