Well, I dont think they will do as well as the pair of 4D32s for power, but they would really look great. I am considering a pair of 4-125As modulated by a single 866 for my next project.

Brett Gazdzinski wrote:

Interesting idea!
I have some 4-125 tubes, however, they like higher voltages,
which means bigger parts like chokes, plate tuning caps, insulators,
etc.
You can get 300 watts out of a 4-125 at 2500 volts with
plate modulation.
How would you modulate a 4-125 with one 4-125?

In anything other than plate modulation, you will have the high voltage,
but low efficiency and likely under 150 watts out, under what a pair
of 4D32 tubes at 700 volts would do....

Brett
N2DTS

How about a pair of 4-125A's using one as modulator the other as final and use a microwave oven transformer for plate power, keep everything in one case.

Brett Gazdzinski wrote:

What would you build/want as a 40 meter hi fi AM transceiver?
I want to limit the power to the 200 watt and under class, but
can put the high voltage power supply in a separate cabinet/rack, and
sit the transceiver on the operating desk, to save space and weight,
or, run one 4d32 at 100 watts with everything inside one box.
With a separate power supply, I could likely go to 200 watts
out of 2 4D32 tubes, or something different?

It can be simple, frequency select switch, rf gain, S meter, mic
gain, plate tune and load, rit,xit?, bass and treble audio EQ.
I will likely put many meters on it, for grid drive, plate voltage,
mod current, negative cycle loading , etc., can be a multi meter, or
separate meters (I like meters).

Or I could build a regular receiver with regular tuning, and
leave the
trans xtal controlled, digital display receive frequency readout.

I can include 2 bandwidth choices, say 5.5 and 4 KHz on the
receive filters.
What would YOU want in a 40 meter transceiver for AM?

Brett
N2DTS