Brett is on the right path. I have always heard from all my old(er) elmers that it takes two things to work on 160. 1. Power 2 a vertical antenna.

This is not to say you won't work anyone in your area with low power, but if you hear someone at a distance, the 200 Watt + carrier can make the difference.

There is a guy in AZ who uses a Viking 2 (100 watts) with a 90 ft. folded unipole and he is as strong in Oklahoma as garlic breath.

75/80 is much the same except a dipole can do a good job for you. I realize what you are doing, but I do suggest you put up a very good antenna for 160. It will pay off with the lower power.

Jim/W5JO

A collection of old handbooks is a great thing to have,
both the arrl and the bill orr handbooks.

A 6146 modulated by a pair of 6l6's would be nice,
50 watts of carrier, 200 watt pep.
You can put a xtal in the grid, or build an osc stage
to isolate things a bit.
Or buy an old VFO to drive it.

Brett
N2DTS

I'm wanting to build a little homebrew project and build bigger ones based on what I learn from the smaller project. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for building a nice little AM transmitter, preferably for use on 160 meters... I guess
I need to find some really old ARRL handbooks because the
ones I have
from the late 60s and 70s aren't helping me.

thanks

--
73 Jason N1SU
http://n1su.com/