I never did much on 160, never had the antenna space
or a tower.
Tried tuning up various things but never heard much, and
never made a contact on 160.

My guess would be that low power would not give much
joy on 160 except under rare conditions?.

40 meters is the best low power band, with 50 watts, you
can often work a bunch of people when they are around.
Antenna's are easy to do, band conditions during the day
are often good.

80 is good also, when the sunspot cycle changes, 80 or 40
is usually good during the daytime.
I think its rolling around to 40 being very good in the daytime
in the next few years?

I imagine 160 is better at night if you can do it, less
of a zoo maybe?

Lots of ways to build a rig, low power xtal type,
medium power RF driven by some solid state rig,
all home brew including the VFO, etc.

A single band rig is easy to build, as is something
using plug in coils to change bands, or even tapped coils.
Regardless of the actual design, the hard part is building
something that looks good and works well.
Paint, matching meters and knobs, parts layout
even and symmetrical layout, no marginal parts or designs,
all the metal cutting, it adds up to a lot of work!

I have bought 'homebrew' stuff at fests for parts,
and could not get over how some stuff was built.
Hacked out holes using who knows what tools, nothing
marked, all the same color wire, nothing matching, no paint,
not one thing in a straight line or right angle, poor solder,
etc.

These days, many might have to build what they
can get parts for, or what parts they have available.
What is available can be expensive, mod and other iron,
oil filled caps, big air variables, etc.

Brett
N2DTS