On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:56 PM, ne1s wrote:

Jason Buchanan writes:
I'm wanting to build a little homebrew project and build bigger ones based on what I learn from the smaller project. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for building a nice little AM transmitter, preferably for use on 160 meters...

Tube, or solid state?
If tube, there are many possibilities in the older handbooks (left coast as well as ARRL). As a first project, I'd start with a low to medium power class transmitter. If you have trouble finding affordable mod iron, a screen-modulated sweep-tube into a linear amp will put you at roughly 150-200W carrier output (I frequently use such a set-up on 160M). If solid state, check out www.classeradio.com/ for some nice designs that'll make you sound like a million bucks. When you get 'er done, join us on the Gray Hair Net on 1.945MHz on Tuesday evenings at 8:30 EDT, or 8:00 EST, assuming you are within hollering distance of the northeastern US (I assume you are because of the "1" callsign, but ya never can tell these days ;>))

hi - thanks for the info. I live in Boxboro, MA which is pretty close to QIX's QTH (i'm 1 mile as the crow flies from the Boxboro ham fest)... Got to try to catch up with him on air sometime and maybe swing by his house and check out all that great stuff he has. I have heard him on 160 in the past with that monster signal but at the time I was super busy and didn't have the time to think about building anything... but now that I have a full wave loop I can work that far up into 160m (my old dipole cut for CW had terrible SWR at 1945KC). Shucks, maybe I can take a ride up your way if you have time.

I have some Drake 4 line gear and an icom 707 that can run AM so will try to listen for you tonight on the gray hair net. Maybe even try to check in but with the Drake's controlled carrier setup it won't be the same....

thanks!

--
73 Jason N1SU
http://n1su.com/