Peter Markavage wrote:
You said: "Explain to me why CW is no longer a requirement for a Ham Radio
license"

This question really should be addressed to

But, it wasn't. You beat the ARRL drum rather loudly, Pete. I (and others) have been saying the same thing about the ARRL and the YeaCommWood bunch for a while, now. The manufacturers whine and complain that they are not selling enough radios. They strike a deal with the ARRL (need I remind you, that the FCC consideres the ARRL as being -the- "voice" of Ham Radio?) and give them 'x' amount of dollars if they lower the licensing requirements so more people can become hams and they can (*gasp*) sell more radios.

Pure economics 101, with some back-room lawyering going on.

YeaCommWood tells the ARRL "here, we'll do -this- for you if you'll do 'that' for us", the ARRL slips the bribe in their pocket and then rares back on it's hind haunches and tells the FCC that Amateur radio needs to do 'this and that', gets it done, and now Johnny Novice no longer has to draw a schematic of a transmitter, he can chose from multiple guess answers, or Johnny Novice no longer has to know CW faster than 5wpm to use Voice on HF, or (latest) Johnny Novice now no longer has to know CW at -all- to get a Ham License and it's all done, Pete, in the name of 'selling more radios' so that the 'shack on a belt' crowd can spend their money on the new YeaCommWood radio that costs as much as an economy automobile! A 5 digit price-tag for a SSB transceiver? For that kind of money, the damned thing had better grow legs and change the cat's litter box! ;-)

 I bet the SSB crowd would love to hear carriers with digital signals riding
over them.

I'm all for 2.5kc of deviation and FM as a viable mode on 75m, when signals warrant and selective fading doesn't totally screw up the signal.

Jim/WD5JKO (of this list) had a problem with RFI in his telephone, and he switched from Amplitude Modulation to Phase Modulation on his QRO'ed CE-20A. I couldn't hear much difference on my receiving end, but his claim was that there was no longer 'other voices' in his wife's telephone conversation.

Something to think about.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope, is like driving your car at night, without headlights. (K4KYV)

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR
(Home in San Antone)