On 9/5/2012 8:57 AM, Kevin Muenzler wrote:
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Kevin Muenzler
<ke...@eaglecreekobservatory.org> wrote:

In my opinion (it's worth every penny you just paid for it) if they are
going to create a new super sophisticated "Phase III Part Deux" it should
perhaps be taken to the ISS in pieces, assembled there and blown into a
long-period orbit.  But then that's just my opinion.  If I remember
correctly AO-40 was damaged by a collision with the launch vehicle shortly
after separation.  Of course a new generation of easy-sats that can be
worked using a J-pole setup would be nice too.

Keep in mind that astronaut time is a very precious commodity, particularly astronaut EVA time. I seriously doubt you'd ever get buy-in by the authorities to have the astronauts devote any of their precious EVA time to assembling an amateur satellite in orbit. Furthermore, I'm not sure of the benefit of on-orbit assembly, unless you believed that you could break down the satellite into such small pieces that they could go along for a "free ride" whenever astronauts or cargo were being sent up. Even AO-40 would have fit into the cargo bay of the (now, sadly, grounded) shuttles, although its nitrogen tetroxide oxidizer and monomethylhydrazine fuel would never have allowed it to fly on a manned shuttle.

Granted, it is easier to get a ride for a 1U cubesat than another AO-40, and the best way to get a ride to orbit is to make the hardware as small and light as possible. But other than shrinking the bird, I don't think that it's so much a problem of re-engineering a whole new satellite design. The design of AO-40 was incredibly good. The design failure was in the step-by-step commissioning process that left a fuel port cap in place prior to launch which then led to the explosion that crippled the bird. People bemoan how "over-engineered" and how "excessively complex" AO-40 was, but it was precisely that complexity and over-engineering that allowed us to get any use out of the bird after the explosion. Getting a ride to a satisfactory orbit is far and away the biggest obstacle.

Now I'll get onto my soapbox for a few moments. I do not understand why we keep pouring our limited resources into single-channel FM satellites. Even a cubesat is capable of carrying a linear transponder, and even if it is put into a LEO, it has to be more useful than an FM transponder in the same orbit. Since the big issue is getting a ride to orbit, why not send up the most capable satellite that we can within the constraints of the allowable package size and weight? I mean, in the worst case, if we launched a linear transponder and "everyone" complained that it was too hard to work it, it could still be operated as a single-channel FM transponder if you allowed people to transmit in FM, much as it would break my heart to allow it. You would not have lost anything by sending up the linear transponder. Make every launch count for as much as possible. Getting off my soapbox now.

My thanks go out to all the folks working behind the scenes to try their darndest to get us new launch opportunities and to get new flight hardware built and ready to go in case a launch opportunity is found. The AMSAT BOD and staff and volunteers put a remarkable amount of effort into this stuff, and seldom get the acknowledgement that they deserve, since major breakthroughs like the launch of an AO-40 are prevented by forces outside of their control. Which just means that they are working all the harder, *NOT* that they are slackers.

And don't get me wrong, I think that cubesats are a good thing, particularly if they are truly educational (teach us how to build better, smaller satellites), and especially if they are able to someday solve the problem of sufficiently safe and effective on-board propulsion to achieve higher orbits. But please, try and put the best possible RF hardware on them when they go up! (Sorry for the short jump back onto the soapbox there!)

73 de W0JT
AMSAT-NA Life Member