I want to respond to the comments on this topic on the bbs. I feel education to the newbie
operators is a must.  I do this in my presentations and demos at ham fests
and club meetings.  I think that  AMSAT Area Coordinators are a source
to do this. Coordinators can be mentors and demonstrate proper operating procedure for comms thru the satellites. I have been guilty of all the points that have been made in this thread. I have
learned a lot from the mail on the bbs.
I tell the folks to use low power, either a full duplex ht or two hts,(one for up link and one for down link). Always listen before transmitting. Make sure you can hear your down link signal. Make your transmissions short... remember the satellite passes are short for LEOs. I used to like to work the HEOs. Lots
of time and various modes...(AO40  sob, sob eh Bob)Oh well maybe someday

73,Dale
KL7XJ
AMSAT Area Coordinator, Alaska