What is realistically achievable with a 3U cubesat with an ion engine?

Cost of the satellite?
Cost of the launch?

Time/cost to develop ion engine?

How many month/years would it take for an ion engine to boost a 3U cubesat from 600 km to 2000 km?

What is the altitude limit for an ion engine?
Impractical to slowly cross the radiation belt?

Could a 3U cubesat with deployable solar panels power a 1 watt, 100 kHz, mode U/V transponder?

I would contribute $1000 to a fund raising campaign for a financially and technically viable plan to (for example) launch in 3 years and deploy a transponder in "high" orbit 2 years later.

I probably would not contribute to a fund raising campaign for a whizbang 3U cubesat destined for a 600 km orbit.

Wayne Estes
Oakland, Oregon, USA, CN83ik