Shawn Brown wrote:
> Everyone who gets Android in Japan gets a form to sign consenting to
> packet charges for updates.  They state there is no way to do it over
> wifi.  That is the first picture users in Japan will get of Android -
> ridiculous unless you want to pay a ton.

The choice to charge for OS update packets lies with the carrier. I've
worked on building phone company billing systems -- I am sure they could
make the OS updates free if they so chose.

Android, the raw OS, can be updated by other means (see the ADP1), so
your complaints should be lodged with the carrier, or possibly the
device manufacturer.

> I take it from your statement then from a technical point of view that
> the SDK can not be used to allow users any choice as when to update if
> it is being pushed from a carrier.

Correct.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_Android Programming Tutorials_ Version 1.0 Available!