Kostya,

On 07/17/2010 11:36 AM, Kostya Vasilyev wrote:
Still think it would work well for games / social apps, but for
productivity apps it can actually be the opposite of what's intended.

Consider two productivity apps, one of which helps get the same work
done in half the time. Which one of them deserves a ratings boost?

Theoretically, this is indeed bad if you only measure on-screen time, but if we also assume that it is started once per "task" you have to do (and assume the number of task for a "productivity" type of app is endless) you will most likely compensate by launching it more times.

However, in reality I suspect you would be unable to not notice everyone else ranting and raving about a productivity app that is twice as fast as what you are using and hence you would switch anyway... ;-)

Still, we're talking mobile phones here (for now anyway), and I suspect there is time limit to how much you use it in a day (basically battery). You are unlikely to spend very much time producing Word documentsm Powerpoints and Excel sheets, right?

As for my own type of productivity (coming back to the subject of the thread?), I'd just launch ConnectBot as I settle on the beach next to the pub in the morning, login to my work computer and keep coding all day, right?

                        Cheers / Jonas