On Aug 20, 6:23 pm, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com> wrote:
> TreKing, I haven't read all the posts on this thread. Generally
> speaking, I agree with your sentiment that the 325-character limit is
> artificial and, well, limiting. That being said...

Yep, I'm now earning a healthy full-time income from Android
development. This is my livelihood now, and yes, the character limit
on the Android Market description is far too restrictive. I don't
think it's the worst problem with the Android Market, which has many,
but it is definitely something that directly impacts the performance
of apps. I was very excited to see the changes to the market previewed
at Google I/O this year, and can only hope that the new market will be
launched soon.

I'm going to have to disagree somewhat with Mark about marketing,
though.

> Every seller of products and services on planet Earth has access to
> the most dizzying array of marketing tools in human history. Some cost
> money, some do not. Some vary by geography of the marketer, others
> vary by the geography of the audience. Some require skills that the
> marketer may not have and would have to hire. Hence, the subset of
> that array of marketing tools available to any given developer will
> vary, based on the developer's resources, location, and so on.
>
> Exactly one of these is the Android Market.

That's true, but what it ignores is the relative importance of each
tool.

Someone just asked what other tools exist for market. A good recent
reference is "The Business of iPhone App Development: Making and
Marketing Apps that Succeed":

http://www.amazon.com/Business-iPhone-App-Development-Marketing/dp/1430227338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282398691&sr=8-1

Much of the advice in that book applies equally well to marketing
Android apps. And what are your other tools? Your company website and/
or a website devoted exclusively to your app. Your own blog/Twitter
feed/Facebook page promoting your business/app. Other blogs/websites/
forums that discuss mobile apps and Android that you can either post
directly to or contact the administrators and try to convince them to
review/mention your app. There's advertising, e.g. AdWords), or
serving up house ads in one of your apps to cross-promote your other
apps. You can also try to form collectives with other developers to
cross-promote each other's apps, through any of the other channels
mentioned above. And on and on.

Mark is right. There are many other ways to market your app. And
though it is often difficult to measure the effectiveness of these
strategies, so far my assessment is that the single most important
channel *by far* is the Android Market. I'm talking something like 98%
Android Market and 2% everything else. Why? Look at it from the
consumer's perspective. The #1 channel for app discovery, by far, is
the market itself. The official web presence of the market is still
virtually useless. When we have a real desktop portal, that might be a
draw to consumers. There are a number of good third party websites
(like AppBrain), but my guess is that the vast majority of people who
walk into their carrier and buy an Android phone have no idea they
exist and don't go looking for them on the web.

The analogy to being in the Staples catalog is simply not a good one.
If you are trying to sell something like paper clips, you have many,
many viable channels by which to sell them, both in online and
physical retail stores. This is simply not the case with apps. I have
tried selling Android apps, and the results are *very* depressing.
Mark has written an article advocating more developers support the
third-party stores, but unfortunately in my experience it is not worth
the investment of time and effort. Every third-party store has a
different set of requirements for resources (i.e. text descriptions
and screenshots). And if you have multiple apps, that means every time
you push an update, you need to maintain X number of resources for
each market that you submit to. This becomes very cumbersome, very
fast. It would be worth the effort if sales through any of these
channels were more than rounding errors on the rest of your sales
figures, but for me they have never been.

The number one thing that can happen to your app, either an iPhone or
Android (short of someone like Oprah or the President endorsing it on
national TV) is being featured in your respective market. Take the
famous Edward Kim example:

http://eddiekim.posterous.com/an-android-success-story-13000month-sales-0

His sales quadrupled when he was featured. This demonstrates the huge
power of the market itself as a marketing channel.

All this isn't to say that you shouldn't do other things to market
your app. But in my opinion the single most important channel by a
huge margin is your listing in the Android Market (and thus, your
icon, description, and screenshots). Being restricted to 325
characters isn't the end of the world, but it does hurt, especially in
the absence of a real changelog. You simply don't have the space to
mention changes between versions, briefly explain why certain
permissions are required, or add other information that many users
could easily ignore but would be extremely useful for certain other
users. Redirecting users to your website for such explanations is
clunky and ineffective.

So yes, the character limit is something that really does negatively
impact devs and should be changed. And yes, there are other ways to
market your app, but their relative importance compared to your market
listing is small.