On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Zsolt Vasvari <zvasv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Every seller of products and services on planet Earth has access to
>> the most dizzying array of marketing tools in human history
>
> Could you elaborate, especially on the free ones? I have no marketing
> budget.

Step #1: Build a Web site that does a decent job of explaining what
your app does, probably in more than 325 characters

Step #2: Add easy ways to get from the Web site to your app:

-- market: URL for those browsing on their phone
-- QR code for the market: URL for those knowing about Barcode Scanner
or Google Goggles
-- a good search term for which you'll come up #1 (if not be the only
entry) when they search for you on the Market
-- Chrome2Phone direct install
-- download the APK from your site (if it's free, or you have a free
version they can try)
-- links to alternative market(s) you are in, for those who have
Market-less devices

Step #3: Steer people to the Web site, using the marketing tools that
have been discussed, ad nauseum, for the past decade-plus, in Web
sites, books, magazines, etc.

In your case, I'd start with an email sig. Then, set up a blog, or be
useful with your Twitter account, or do something else to keep your
name out there. Find where your customers usually visit online and
figure out how your links can get there (e.g., sigs in discussion
board posts, somebody else blogs a review of your app, run a contest).
Add value wherever you can, so that your "marketing" isn't purely seen
as self-serving. Do SEO work on the Web site so that you climb
steadily in the search rankings for likely search terms. And so on.

There are many, many books available for learning how to market
yourself online. Pick one that is relatively new (I wouldn't go older
than 2007), since the techniques change. Be prepared to translate any
concrete advice those books offer into other technologies that may
have arrived since the book came out (e.g., Google Buzz). Understand
that those books aren't specifically written for Android developers,
and so some percentage of the techniques that they describe aren't
necessarily relevant for you. Subscribe to the blogs or Twitter feeds
of people with great insight (e.g., I follow Seth Godin). Continuously
monitor other successful Android apps and reverse-engineer how they're
driving their traffic. And so on.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 3.1 Available!