As far as I know, this is related to copy protection and a bug in
devices running Android 1.5.

If you published your app with copy protection enabled, and
subsequently disable it in some future update, you will likely
experience this problem.  Users who have Android 1.5 devices and had
your app installed before the update where copy protection was removed
will likely have it crash after they update to the unprotected app.
Something in the update process breaks the app, I expect references,
or ID addresses or something along those lines.  This would result in
undefined behaviour in your app, most likely a crash on startup, but
if you get lucky and the app runs, it will almost certainly crash
somewhere else, seemingly at random.

However, if a 1.5 user uninstalls and reinstalls, the update process
is skipped and a fresh copy is installed, without broken references.
1.5 users who install your app for the first time would not have
problems either.  As far as I am aware, this bug has been fixed in
Android 1.6 and later, which explains why only a smaller subset of
your users experience the problem.

I expect this issue might crop up more now that Google released their
new licensing scheme, and devs start switching over to that and
disable copy protection.

(As an aside, it is probably not wise to cheese of the Google devs on
a forum where you are asking for their help :)