For the game that I am currently making if you look at it upside down or
from any other perspective it does not affect your ability to play the game.
Similar to how you can put a board game on a table and anybody from any
direction can still play it. So, for me, it actually makes perfect sense to
lock the screens orientation because it simply does not matter and it would
actually annoy users more if the screen rotated with them because they might
just want to look at it upside down.

If that does not work for your App then fine, don't do it.

As for what you said about not having certain optimisations for various
layouts, well, when you go from 60 fps down to 30 fps (as was demonstrated
in the video) it starts to look much more like a bug and much less like a
missing optimisation.